‘Got Mashed Potatoes?
Great way to use up your left-overs and respect the sauerkraut tradition on New Year’s Eve.
Music: Stevie Wonder, Reggae Woman
- 4 c mashed potatoes, organic with skins
- 1 egg
- 1 c shredded sharp cheese
- 32 oz sauerkraut
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t tyme
Mix together above ingredients
Spray muffin cups with coconut oil
Fill cups with mixture
* for a cheesey crust, save enough cheese to spread on top
Bake 350′ for 25 minutes (longer if you like it dryer)
- 1 1/3 cup (about 8 ounces) red lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 7 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. canned and chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup Braggs Amino Mins (unfermented soy product) or 1/8 Soy Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
Wash red lentils and add to pot of water.
Bring to boil as you chop the veggies
Add to simmering water to make broth
Add garlic, cumin, cayenne and simmer for 1 hour
Add Braggs (or soy sauce), salt and pepper
Let simmer on low heat until the lentils begin to soften and thicken
You can blend for smooth texture or eat it lumpy–if you like veggie texture!
1 cup arepa flour (precooked cornmeal)
1 cup crumbled ricotta salata or grated mozzarella (1/4 pound)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Toss together arepa flour, cheese, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl, then stir in water until incorporated. Let stand until enough water is absorbed for a soft dough to form, 1 to 2 minutes (dough will continue to stiffen).
Form 3 level tablespoons dough into 1 ball and flatten between your palms, gently pressing to form a 1/4-inch-thick patty (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches wide),
Then gently press around side to eliminate cracks.
Transfer to a wax-paper-lined surface.
Form more disks with remaining dough in same manner, transferring to wax-paper-lined surface.
Heat oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then fry arepas in 2 batches, turning over once, until deep golden in patches, 8 to 10 minutes total per batch. Drain on paper towels.
Gingered Beets, Carrots and Greens